Friday, June 8, 2012

Power Made Perfect, Part Three

Go back to Part Two

Scene 1: In the Desert
(Narrator, Elijah, Angel)

Arabian desert music begins again in this scene.

NARRATOR
So Elijah left his servant in the safe haven of Beersheba, and began his journey into the desert. He walked on and on through the wilderness, only stopping for a few moments to catch his breath before continuing on a path leading out into the wasteland.

Elijah’s quick footsteps and heavy breathing are heard as he makes his way through the desert.

NARRATOR
He trekked on for the entire day, until finally he was too exhausted to continue on anymore. In the distance, he spotted a broom tree. He made his way towards it until he finally arrived and collapsed beneath what little shade it provided.

Elijah’s quick footsteps and heavy breathing are heard as he makes his way through the desert. – When he gets to the tree, he collapses stomach first on the ground. He is breathing heavily for a few seconds after he collapses.

ELIJAH
God… I’ve had enough of this. Are you listening? I’m as good as dead. I might as well join my ancestors in the grave. God, take away my life. I don’t want it. I’m so sick and tired of it… so tired… sleep… sleep is what I need.

NARRATOR
Elijah lay down under the tree and fell asleep.

Elijah breathes out a long sigh as falls to sleep.

NARRATOR
But no sooner had he done so when something happened…

Elijah’s heavy sleep breathing is heard as a man’s footsteps quickly approach him. They stop.

ANGEL
Elijah.

The angel bends down and shakes Elijah awake.

ELIJAH
(confused)
Hmm? What? Who are you?

ANGEL
Get up, Elijah. Get up and eat.

ELIJAH
Eat?
(Elijah turns)
Oh, what’s this? – A pile of hot coals with a cake of bread baking on it… and… what’s this? – A jar of water. Thank you. This is just what I need.

Elijah picks up the bread and begins to eat. He then takes the jar of water and drinks from it.

ANGEL
Here… drink this.

ELIJAH
(Talking with his mouth full) Thank you. I was so thirsty… and hungry. I feel like I’ve been running forever.
(Swallows a drink of water and sighs.)
What’s your name?

ANGEL
Why do you ask me my name? It is beyond understanding.

ELIJAH
I see.
(sighs)
And now…
(laying back down)
…if you’ll excuse me… thank you for the meal, but I’m going to go back to sleep.

ANGEL
Very well.
(standing up)
I will leave you to your rest.

Elijah is snoring.

ANGEL
Hmm…

The score here sounds like Arabian Desert music. It continues and begins to sound a bit “tinny.” It is now coming over the radio in Jack’s car as he is driving.

Scene 2: In Jack’s Car
(Jack, Lucy)

Jack’s cellphone rings and he turns off the radio.

JACK
(talking on phone)
Hey, Lucy.

LUCY
Hey, Jack. I just thought I’d call and check up on you. How are you doing?

JACK
I’m doing fine.

LUCY
Where are you at?

JACK
I just crossed the border into Texas. It’s pretty dull out here. Not much to see… other than tumbleweeds anyway.

LUCY
Have you heard anything from your parents about your grandma?

JACK
Yeah, they called a little while ago to let me know that grandma will be going in for more tests tomorrow. The doctors are going to try and figure out how they can operate on her… you know, look for the best spot for them to go in and take it out. They’re not real hopeful about the whole thing though.

LUCY
I see.

JACK
Yeah.

LUCY
I wish that I was there with you.

JACK
Yeah, me too. But, hey, don’t worry about me. You need to be in Odyssey right now to take care of your newspaper.

LUCY
I still wish that I had come with you.

JACK
I know, but there’s no point in second guessing that decision now.

LUCY
(beat)
Well… I’m glad you have a job now.

JACK
Yeah, me too. It’s not nearly the pay I was hoping for, but I guess it’s good enough for now.

LUCY
Yeah, it’ll do… for now.
(beat)
How do you like your new job, Jack?

JACK
Heh, well, it’s not my dream job, but I think that I can learn from it. It’s not a bad job. The hours aren’t exactly what I thought they would be, but they’re okay I guess.

LUCY
Yeah.
(beat)
Well, I need to go run off some copies real quick. I just wanted to call in and check up on you.

JACK
Thanks. I appreciate that. I’ll call you once I get there.

LUCY
I love you.

JACK
I love you, too.

LUCY
Bye.

JACK
Bye.

Jack hangs up his phone.

JACK
(sighs deeply)
What’s going on here, God? First, Sanderson tells me to get lost and now my grandma’s dying. Could you do something about this, God? I’d really appreciate it. I… I need your help.

Music takes over and ends the scene.

Scene 3: Front Driveway of Jack’s Parents’ House
(Mr. Davis, Jack, Mrs. Davis)

Jack pulls into the driveway of his parents’ home. He gets out of the car and closes the door behind him.

MR. DAVIS
Jack!

JACK
Dad?

MR. DAVIS
Welcome back to Texas, Jack! It’s good to see you again!

JACK
Hey dad, it’s good to see you, too.

They hug each other.

MR. DAVIS
How’s Lucy?

JACK
Oh, she’s doing fine. Where’s mom at?

MRS. DAVIS
I’m right here.

JACK
Hey, mom. How are you?

She hugs him.

MRS. DAVIS
I’m doing okay.
(starts to cry a little bit) It’s… it’s… I’m glad that you’re here.

MR. DAVIS
You’re, uh, you’re grandma’s doing fine. She’s pretty nervous about the tests they’re going to run tomorrow though.

JACK
What kind of tests are they?

MR. DAVIS
Well, basically, based on these tests, the doctors are going to decide whether surgery will help your grandma or not.

MRS. DAVIS
They think that she’s probably too far along for an operation, but they’re going to see what they can do. We’re hoping and…
(starts crying again)
…praying…

MR. DAVIS
(hugs his wife - whispers)
It’s okay.

MRS. DAVIS
…that they can do something.
(sighs deeply)
She probably doesn’t have much time left though.
(beat)
Jack, thank you for coming. Thank you for driving all this way. This may be the last time you get to see your grandma again.
(starts crying)
So thank you. It means a lot to me.

JACK
I wanted to come.

MR. DAVIS
Well, do you, uh, you want to come inside and get something to eat?

JACK
Sure. Thanks. I’m pretty hungry.

MR. DAVIS
Yeah, I thought you would be. Come on inside. You’re grandma will want to see you, too.

Scene 4: In the House
(Jack, Grandma)

JACK
Hello, Grandma.

GRANDMA
(looks up)
Jack. You’re here. I’m so glad you came to visit.

JACK
How are you feeling, Grandma?

GRANDMA
Oh, I’m doing alright. But you, you look so thin. Go get something to eat.

JACK
I just ate, grandma.

GRANDMA
Well, go get some more food. You need to keep up your strength, don’t you know? And there’s plenty of food to eat, so don’t be bashful. It’s not like grandpa and I are going to eat it all.

JACK
Heh…

GRANDMA
Though these days we probably look like we have eaten it all and then some.

JACK
Uh…

GRANDMA
Watch your tongue, young man.

JACK
Yes, ma’am.

GRANDMA
Yeah, people keep coming by to check on us… and of course they leave behind a casserole when they leave. It’s nice, but it’s not like I can’t cook anymore. I’m not paralyzed, you know. It’s just a little brain tumor. – Maybe a brain tumor. They don’t even know that much yet. But I guess we’ll find out soon.

JACK
Are you doing okay?

GRANDMA
Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just… well… I’m just little bit… scared.
(beat)
But anyway… Jack, what are you doing here?

JACK
What do you mean?

GRANDMA
Don’t tell me you drove all this way just to visit me.

JACK
Uh… heh… I did.

GRANDMA
And it’s good to see you again. You have a job now, don’t you?

JACK
Uh-huh. Yeah, I do.

GRANDMA
How’s that going for you?

JACK
It’s going fine. The pay is a lot better than what I thought it would be.

GRANDMA
Do you enjoy it?

JACK
Mmm… it’s a job.

GRANDMA
Uh-huh. Now what’s the name of the place you work for now? S… s… Sommerset? Samsonite?

JACK
Uh… it’s Sanderson, but I don’t actually work there.

GRANDMA
Oh, why not?

JACK
Well, they decided they didn’t want me after all…

GRANDMA
Well, that’s messed up. They should be glad I don’t live nearby… otherwise they’d be hearing from me about it… and I’d give them what for.

JACK
Heh heh, that reminds of what Lucy said.

GRANDMA
Well, she’s right, boy. You married a good woman. How is she anyway?

JACK
Oh, she’s doing just fine. She’s working on starting up her own newspaper now.

GRANDMA
Is she? That’s nice. But she isn’t here?

JACK
No, she couldn’t make it.

GRANDMA
Well, that’s too bad. But at least I got to see you. You tell her I said hi, okay?

JACK
Okay, I will.

GRANDMA
Yes, indeed, you did well finding her, my boy.

JACK
Heh heh. Yeah, Lucy’s great.

GRANDMA
You bet she is. Hey, why don’t you take one of these casseroles back to her? Goodness knows we don’t need any more casseroles here.

JACK
Uh… heh heh… I’m not sure it’ll keep that long…

GRANDMA
Oh, I know. You’re right. Hey, you need to go get some more to eat.

JACK
But I just ate something…

GRANDMA
Oh no no no no no no. I won’t take no for an answer. You’ve come all this way. You need to keep up your strength.

JACK
(chuckling)
It’s not like I’ve been walking through the desert, grandma.

GRANDMA
Well, driving through Texas is close enough, boy. Now go eat something.

JACK
Okay, okay, I’ll go get some more to eat.

GRANDMA
There’s a good boy.

Scene 5: Another Part of the House
(Jack, Mr. Davis)

JACK
Do you think grandma is going to be okay, Dad?

MR. DAVIS
I… I don’t know, Jack. I hope so.

JACK
Yeah, me too.

MR. DAVIS
But you know, Jack, you’re grandma knows Jesus… so even if she’s not going to be okay, everything will turn out alright in the end.

JACK
Yeah… yeah, I know. We don’t have to be afraid of death because when we die we go to heaven.

MR. DAVIS
That’s right. God says so in the Bible. Grandma’s never doubted that in her entire life.

JACK
Do… do Christians ever doubt God?

MR. DAVIS
Oh, I’m sure they do every once in a while… but you know, part of being a Christian is trusting in God. That’s what your grandma does. She always trusted God and never doubted him for her entire life. She knows that God always keeps his promises and that if it’s her time he’ll take her home to be with him. I don’t know of any true Christian who doubts that. - Maybe someone from some other religion.

JACK
Do you think God would let someone die before their time?

MR. DAVIS
Absolutely not. Sometimes it seems like people die too young or before their time, but God is always in control and his plans are bigger than our plans.

JACK
It’s still sad, though.

MR. DAVIS
Yes, Jack. Yes, it is very sad.
(beat)
But we don’t know if that’s what’s going to happen to your grandma though. God could provide us with a miracle. That’s why we have to keep praying. We need to pray that God will guide the doctors and that He will be able to heal your grandma through them.

JACK
But what if He doesn’t?

MR. DAVIS
Well… then I guess God decided that He needed her more in heaven with Him than He needed her here with us.

JACK
But… but we need her here.

MR. DAVIS
Oh, I’m sure it may feel like that, but God knows what we need best. He’ll work things out in His own time.

JACK
Oh, I know. God always works things out in His own time.

MR. DAVIS
That’s right, Jack. I’m glad you realize that.

JACK
(mutters under his breath)
Yeah, that’s just great. I guess.

MR. DAVIS
What was that?

JACK
Hmm? Oh, uh, nothing.

MR. DAVIS
Yeah, you know your mother and I are really proud of you. It’s not often that a young man makes it through his college days with his faith intact.

JACK
Yeah, I know… It’s sad.

MR. DAVIS
Yes, it is. Very sad… but we’re glad that you and Lucy both have really strong faith and that you two are firm in your commitment to follow Jesus. Your generation needs people like you to show them what faith is all about, to show them what it means to have a faith that can move mountains, a faith that never doubts the Lord.

JACK
(sighs)
Yeah, I know.

MR. DAVIS
Your generation needs more people who are on fire for God as much as your grandma is… because, you know, folks like her probably aren’t going to be around much longer.

JACK
Uh… yeah, but, but hopefully grandma has a lot of years left in her.

MR. DAVIS
Oh, I hope so, too. But for now… all we can do is pray… and wait.

Scene 6: Outside the House

Jack is walking around outside the house.

JACK
(sighs deeply)
God… I don’t know what to say. I’m afraid to talk to you. I’m afraid you won’t listen to me… or worse, you’ll tell me something I don’t want to hear. Please help my grandma. Please don’t let her die.
(sighs deeply)
I don’t want to complain, but… I’m not sure what you’ve been doing lately. It’s like… it’s like you haven’t been around. You’ve been silent. I guess I just don’t have very good faith. Is it true that Christians never doubt you? I’m not saying that I don’t believe in you or anything… but… is my dad right? He thinks that Christians shouldn’t doubt you. Is that right? Am I allowed to ask these kinds of questions? I think my dad would be angry if I asked these questions. Are you like my dad?
(beat)
Please, please, God, take these thoughts away from me. This is too much for me to stand. Why do I think such things? Why am I haunted by these terrible thoughts? I want to be a good Christian. I know that you want me to grow in my faith… but these growth pains are too much. I don’t want to think about this… my own thoughts are disturbing to me… just… make everything better again.

MRS. DAVIS
(calling from a distance)
Jack!

JACK
Huh?

MRS. DAVIS
Jack! Oh, Jack! It’s wonderful news!

JACK
What? What’s going on?

MRS. DAVIS
Oh, Jack. Everything’s going to be fine!

JACK
What? What is?

MRS. DAVIS
It was all a big mistake! You’re grandmother’s going to be okay after all!

Scene 7: In Jack’s Car

Jack is driving through no-man’s land in Texas.

JACK
Yeah, yeah, that’s right, Lucy. Everything’s going to be fine. The doctor misinterpreted some old scarring tissue from an accident my grandma was in as a child for a tumor. There’s nothing wrong with her.

LUCY
(over the phone)
That’s great news, Jack!

JACK
Yeah, it is. I’m glad she’s going to be okay.

LUCY
(over the phone)
How are you doing?

JACK
Oh, I’m just tired now. – Worn out.

LUCY
(over the phone)
Be safe on the road.

JACK
Oh, I’ll try. I’m on my way back right now. I just hope I still have a job when I get back.

LUCY
(over the phone)
I’m sure Mr. Heinecke will understand.

JACK
Something tells me he won’t… but maybe I’m just paranoid after Sanderson… and everything else that’s happened this year.
LUCY
(over the phone)
We’ll be fine.

JACK
I sure hope so.

LUCY
(over the phone)
We will. Well, I’ve got to get back to work now, Jack. I’ll call you again later.

JACK
Alright, talk to you later.

Phone beeps.

JACK (CONT’D)
Well, it’s just me and my thoughts now. I need to find something to distract myself from them. Hmm… wow… Texas is a really flat state.
(beat)
This isn’t going to work, is it?
(irritated)
Grr… I hate this drive.

Scene 8: Still in Jack’s Car

Jack is driving through Texas. Some distant thunder can be heard in the background at the beginning of this scene. Jack is praying out loud. He is a bit angry at times, but mostly disturbed by his own thoughts.

JACK
God… are you still there?
(beat)
Why don’t you do something? You could have stopped all this from happening.
(beat)
I mean – thank you that my grandma didn’t have a brain tumor… but could you have given us a better doctor? One who would have figured that out sooner? Because now I feel like I’ve come all the way out here for nothing. Please don’t misunderstand… heh… of course you won’t misunderstand, you know everything. Heh… or do you? You don’t act like you do. You’ve let one bad thing happen to me after another. You could have stopped my school grant from getting taken away. You could have given me a good job at Sanderson’s, or at least let me know beforehand that it wasn’t going to work out. Almost all of my friends from college have good well-paying jobs now – jobs that they love. Why can’t I get one? I’d be happy with just about anything I can get… so why does it always have to be the one job available that I would absolutely hate the most? And you could have arranged things so that I would at least get to see Lucy… but no… now we barely even see each other because of our stupid work schedules. I hate that. You want me to be a good husband, don’t you? You want me to provide for my wife… and you want me to spend enough time with her… so why won’t you let that happen? You said that you would provide whatever we needed in life… but I’m having a really hard time believing that right now. I… I’m… afraid that you aren’t the God I thought you were. I… I’m afraid… I’m afraid that… that you aren’t really good.
(beat)
And I feel like a horrible Christian for even thinking that… for doubting you… but I do… and I guess I am.
(deep sigh)
Well… that’s where I am at right now I guess. I… I don’t know what to do now. I don’t know where to go from here.
(sighs again)
Please, God, just, just show me where to go now.

Thunder is heard again off in the distance.

JACK (CONT’D)
Hmm… looks like a storm’s building up.
(beat)
I guess I’d better turn on the radio and listen for the weather report.

Jack turns on the radio.

WEATHERMAN
(on the radio – a bit of static)
…and there’s your weather report for this Tuesday afternoon. Back to you, Bill.

BILL
(on the radio)
Thank you, Ted. In other news, the Israeli Prime Minister met up with the President at the White House today to discuss the future of the Mid East. Israel has long stated that…
(this last part is drowned out pretty much by Jack’s voice.)

JACK
Aw, man. I just missed it. Oh well.

Jack changes the station to some “Arabian desert-sounding” music. The radio static is removed as the music continues on and Jack and his car fade out. The music continues into the next scene.

Scene 9: In the Desert Again

The scene is brought back to Elijah sleeping. The sound of his snoring becomes clearer as the music settles down. A man’s footsteps are heard again as Elijah snores. The man stops and shakes Elijah awake.

ANGEL
(More firm this time)
Elijah, get up and eat. You didn’t finish your food. You need it in order to give you strength. This journey is too much for you.

ELIJAH
(rising to a sitting position)
Oh… alright. I’ll finish it.

ANGEL
Good.

ELIJAH
(talking with food in his mouth)
You know, you never did tell me who you were.

ANGEL
I am the Lord’s servant. That is all you need to know.

ELIJAH
Hmm…

NARRATOR
Elijah ate until the very last piece of bread was gone. He then arose and continued on with his journey through the desert. The servant stayed behind, sitting under the broom tree. Elijah looked back over his shoulder and saw him sitting there watching him. He then looked back ahead and kept walking. When he looked back over his shoulder a little while later to see if the servant was still watching him in the distance from beneath the broom tree, he didn’t see him anymore.

Scene 10: In Jack’s Car Again

Jack is driving through a raging thunder storm in Texas.

JACK
Oh, my goodness. This storm is getting crazy! It’s probably just a matter of time before… Oh, no. There it is. - A tornado. That was definitely a tornado. It’s so dark! I can’t see a thing out here! How am I supposed to tell where this thing is going?

Jack turns on the radio. It is staticky.

RADIO GUY
…Jeff Davis, Lipton, Martin, Midland, Pecos, Reagan, Reeves, Sutton, Terrel, Upton, Val Verde, Ward, and Winkler Counties are all under tornado warnings right now. The sirens are going off and the sky is black except for the many lightning flashes. We’re not sure how many tornados are on the ground right now. Again, The National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Warning in effect until 9:30PM. Again, these are not just Doppler radar indicated rotations. Several twisters have been spotted on the ground. If you’ve got anything to report, please call the studio and let us know what’s going on. Again, The National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Warning for the following counties…

Radio fades into static.

JACK
Great. There’s not just one twister out here. There’s several… and I have no idea where they are. I’ve got to find some sort of shelter somewhere. If only I could see where…

Large thunder clash.

JACK (CONT’D)
Oh! Good grief! There they are! That was… that was… more than I could count in a flash of lightning. That was at least six tornados!

Large Thunder clash.

JACK (CONT’D)
Oh yeah, that’s bad. Okay, there’s nothing off in that direction. And the storm seems to be moving the other way. I’m changing my route. I’ve got to get out of here. Anywhere but this place! It looks like there’s a sign coming up here. Okay, Lanchester is six miles that way and…

Strong wind gust.

JACK (CONT’D)
Whoa! There goes the sign. Gone with the wind…

Radio comes back on.

RADIO GUY
…Twister just went through the area of Lanchester, and I sure hope everyone was in their storm cellars.

JACK (CONT’D)
Lanchester! That’s six miles from here! Oh! Good grief! Which way should I go? Maybe I should just go jump in the ditch… Uh… if there was a ditch to jump into… This place is too flat. Okay, well, I’m not headed towards Lanchester. Maybe just straight ahead…

A barn comes crashing down from the sky in the middle of the route Jack was just about to take.

JACK (CONT’D)
(half-panicked)
Or maybe not since a barn is now blocking the road! I’m going right! - Wherever that goes to. – Hopefully out of this storm!

Jack floors it. The scene ends with sounds of thunder and high wind.

Scene 11: in the Desert Again

The score here sounds like Arabian Desert music.

NARRATOR
Strengthened by the food the servant had given him, Elijah traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God. There he went into a cave and spent the night.

The score fades out. – Elijah is sitting in a cave at night. – He is not far from the entrance.

ELIJAH
(quietly to himself - sighs)
It’s been a long day. – At least out in the wilderness I’ll be able to have some peace and quiet. I need some rest after all that’s happened.
(slowly)
Yes… rest. I’m tired of running. Rest is what I need.
(sighs deeply)

The mountain is quiet for a few seconds. – A breeze begins to blow. It blows through the winding canyons making a gentle swirling noise. – The score begins. It is calm. – The wind and the score begin to pick up gradually. – The score is comforting yet mysterious.

THE LORD
(a gentle and slow whisper barely above the wind)
Elijah.

The score picks up a bit. It is still comforting. It is beautiful. – After a few seconds, The LORD speaks again.

THE LORD
(A gentle whisper that is near Elijah)
Elijah.

Elijah sits up from his resting position in the cave and listens intently.

ELIJAH
(slowly and quietly)
Who is there?

A gentle breeze blows into the cave.

THE LORD
(A low and gentle voice above a whisper.)
Elijah.

ELIJAH
Is that You, Lord?

The score is still beautiful, but begins to sound like the music of a broken heart while still sounding somewhat mysterious.

THE LORD
(gentle but serious)
What are you doing here, Elijah?

ELIJAH
(speaking in a hushed voice, but gradually becoming louder)
O my Lord and my God. You indeed are the creator of heaven and earth. I have been working with all of my heart for You - the Almighty. But the people of Israel have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.

The breeze becomes louder as it echoes through the cave. – The score is still beautiful. The broken-heart music becomes serious.

ELIJAH
(amazed and confused)
Lord?

THE LORD
(serious, but not angry)
Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.

The wind starts howling down the side of the mountain, through the winding canyons, and by the entrance of the cave. – The score becomes dramatic.

NARRATOR
Then a great and powerful wind arose and blew across the peaks of the mountains.

The wind is blowing like crazy.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
It came down steadily and blew through the canyons and across the cliffs right past the cave where Elijah was hiding.

Explosions can be heard in the wind. There are rockslides and cracking noises. The boulders are being blown to bits.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
The wind was so powerful that it tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD.

The wind quickly dies down. – The score calms down for a short moment.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
But the LORD was not in the wind.

The score becomes even more dramatic. – There is a deep rumbling sound in the ground that echoes in the cave.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
After the wind there was an earthquake. – The ground split open and the earth rumbled beneath Elijah’s feet.

There is a great cracking noise as the ground continues to rumble. – The rumbling begins to fade away. – The score again calms down for a short moment.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
But the LORD was not in the earthquake.

The score becomes even more dramatic. There is great danger in the air.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
And after the earthquake came a fire.

A roaring fire can be heard. It engulfs the entire mountain. Distant explosions can also be heard.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
Roaring! Blazing! Burning!

The fire crackles into silence. – The score becomes calm again.

NARRATOR (CONT’D)
But the LORD was not in the fire.

THE LORD
(a gentle whisper)
Elijah.

ELIJAH
(gasps deeply).

Elijah begins walking out from the mouth of the cave.

ELIJAH (CONT’D)
(amazed and terrified)
Here I am, Lord. I hear You.

NARRATOR
Elijah approached the mouth of the cave, hiding his face with his cloak.

A gentle breeze blows past Elijah.

THE LORD
(gentle, but serious)
What are you doing here, Elijah?

ELIJAH
(calming down)
I have served you with all of my heart and with all of my strength. But the Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.

THE LORD
Listen to me, Elijah. Go back the way you came through the desert to Damascus. When you get there anoint Hazael; make him king over Aram. Then anoint Jehu son of Nimshi; make him king over Israel. Finally, anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet. Anyone who escapes death by Hazael will be killed by Jehu; and anyone who escapes death by Jehu will be killed by Elisha. But what you don’t know is that I have preserved for myself seven thousand souls in Israel. Their knees have not bowed to Baal, and their mouths have not kissed his image.

ELIJAH
(amazed and perplexed – slowly to himself)
Seven… thousand? I am not the only one left.

THE LORD
No, Elijah. You are not the only one left. You are only by yourself if you choose to be by yourself. Your own strength is not enough for you. You need the strength of others.
(gentle, but serious)
Go now and return from where you came.

The breeze blows by Elijah and disappears.

THE LORD
(voice fades into a whisper)
I will be with you, Jack.

Scene 12: In Jack’s Car Again

Jack suddenly wakes up from his dream about Elijah. Birds are chirping outside his car and everything is very calm.

JACK
Whoa… that dream was so… so real. Are you here, God? Yes… yes, you are. You were always here, weren’t you? I just couldn’t see you. What are you telling me? What is this about? Where are you telling me to go?
(beat)
Hmm… well… I need to stretch my legs.

Jack emerges from his car and stretches.

JACK (CONT’D)
What is this place? Where am I? I can’t believe I stumbled upon this place last night. I couldn’t hardly see anything. I must be miles away from where I should be by now. What a tiny little town.

Jack walks a bit.

JACK (CONT’D)
I wonder what the name of this place is… ah, there’s a sign over there. I wonder if it has the name of this town on it.

Jack starts walking towards the sign.

JACK (CONT’D)
Hopefully that will tell me where I am and where I’m supposed to be.
(beat)
Alright, let’s come around and see what you have to say…

Jack stops walking.

JACK (CONT’D)
(dumbfounded)
Oh.
(beat)
I see.
(reading the sign)
Welcome to Odyssey, Texas. Population: One thousand, two hundred and ten.
(sighs)
So that’s where I am… and I guess… that’s where I’m supposed to be, too. Alright, God, I’ll go back to Odyssey. I don’t understand it all or have any idea what you’re doing… but… I’m going to follow you anyway.
(chuckles to himself)
Yeah… I’m going to follow you anyway.

NARRATOR
And so Jack did what God had told him, and made his way through the desert, back from where he came… back to Odyssey. And that is where this story ends… for now.




Go back to Part Two

1 comment: