Saturday, June 9, 2012

BTV: Justice


Scene 1:  At the Odyssey Court House
(Bernard, Guard)

Sound-effects: indoor crowd noises; music: BTV intro theme – it quickly fades out.

BERNARD
Hi, everyone, and welcome to BTV. Today we’re at the Odyssey courthouse, and judging from the commotion right now it looks like we’re about to see a case come to a close. Let’s see if I can get a word with one of the members of the jury.

Bernard walks over to a man.

BERNARD (CONT’D)
Excuse me, sir.

GUARD
Yes, what is it?

BERNARD
Is there any way I can speak with one of the members of the jury?

GUARD
What’s the matter with you? Haven’t you ever been called up for jury duty before?

BERNARD
I have.

GUARD
Then you should know that I can’t let you speak to the jury during court proceedings.

BERNARD
Why not?

GUARD
Because you might try to sway them into making a decision that is in your own interests.

BERNARD
Meaning…

GUARD
Meaning you’ve got no business talking to them. What are trying to do, huh? Pervert the course of justice?

BERNARD
No, officer, I was just checking to see what you’d say.

GUARD
Yeah, sure you were.

BERNARD
(to the camera)
So, you see, folks, justice isn’t something we should take lightly. They wouldn’t let me in because they were afraid I might try to… well, like the guard said – pervert the course of justice. – That and…he didn’t want to get fired for breaking the rules. But rules do have a lot to do with justice as well… and that’s just what we’re gonna see on today’s episode of BTV. Don’t go away. We’ll be right back.

BTV intro theme music begins again - cut to first commercial break.

Scene 2: Back at the Odyssey Court House
(Bernard, Judge)

BTV intro theme music begins again and quickly fades out.

BERNARD
Welcome back to BTV, where we’re learning about justice today… and who better than to talk about justice than Judge Abernathy. Tell us, Judge. Is it hard to grant justice to people?

JUDGE
What do you mean?

BERNARD
Well, you know, if the person whose case you were seeing happened to be your best buddy, do you think you would find it difficult to act justly?

JUDGE
No, it wouldn’t be difficult because I wouldn’t see the case.

BERNARD
Oh… well, what if someone in your family needed some extra money… and you knew that if you ruled against someone, they would have to hand the dough over to them.

JUDGE
That would be dishonest. What are you implying? – That my family is full of cheats?

BERNARD
No, I was just…

JUDGE
Oh, I see, you’re saying something about me and my personal integrity!

BERNARD
No, no, nothing like that…

JUDGE
I don’t have time for this. Where’d that bailiff go?

Judge wanders away grumbling.

BERNARD
Well… I guess that just goes to show how important justice is. Yet you’ve got to wonder just how many of us actually appreciate the justice we have in our country… and whether or not we really want to be treated with justice. I mean… justice can mean great things for some people… and not so great things for others.

Brief TV static sound-effect cuts to Scene Three.

Scene 3: Ancient Israel
(Bernard, Rich Man, Another Rich Guy, Friend, Children’s Choir Director, Abraham)

BERNARD
(Narrating)
There once was a rich man…

RICH MAN
Hey, hey, wait a minute now, just because I own half of the wealth in the entire kingdom…that doesn’t make me rich.
(beat)
Oh, wait…yes it does.
(greedy laugh)

BERNARD
The rich man dressed in a purple robe and wore fine linen clothes…

ANOTHER RICH GUY
Sir, why do you always wear that purple robe? It reminds me of singing dinosaurs.

RICH MAN
Hey, when you’ve got as much money as the king, you deserve to wear a purple robe. It sends a message you know.

ANOTHER RICH GUY
Yes, it does, doesn’t it?

BERNARD
The rich man lived in luxury every day.

RICH MAN
Like I said, it sends a message.

BERNARD
Now, in front of the rich man’s house, lying by the gate – too weak to stand - was a beggar named Lazarus…

LAZARUS
(begging)
Alms…alms for the poor…

BERNARD
The man was covered with sores and he longed to eat what fell from the rich man's table.

RICH MAN
Oh, gross, what’s that awful smell?

ANOTHER RICH GUY
Maybe it’s the bean burritos we had for lunch…

RICH MAN
That smells terrible… Oh, I see what it is. Someone dumped a pile of trash by my front gate.

ANOTHER RICH GUY
Sir, that’s a man begging for food at your front gate.

RICH MAN
Yeah, like I said… a pile of trash.

BERNARD
As Lazarus the beggar sat in front of the rich man’s house – in too much pain to walk - even the dogs came and licked his sores.

RICH MAN
Oh, now that’s just nasty. I’m not gonna look at this anymore.

BERNARD
And so, the rich man chose to ignore the poor beggar on his front step. Day after day, whenever Lazarus would come into view, the rich man would look the other way. Until one day the time came when the beggar finally died. The angels carried Lazarus up to heaven where he met his great great great great great great grandfather Abraham.

Quick cut to children’s choir director.

CHILDREN’S CHOIR DIRECTOR
(Singing while kids run wild in the background)
Father Abraham – had many sons – and many sons had Father Abraham…
(talking to the kids)
Come on, kids, sing along… pay attention now… Jeremy, be a good boy and stop pulling Margaret’s hair…

Quick cut back to story.

RICH MAN
Hey, what ever happened to that pile of trash in front of my house?

ANOTHER RICH GUY
You mean the beggar? Oh… he died last week. I called the undertaker, and he came and… well, he took him away.

RICH MAN
Hey thanks. That guy was bringing down our land values.

ANOTHER RICH GUY
(unsure) Yes… I suppose that’s one way of looking at it.

BERNARD
Eventually, the rich man also died and his friends called the undertaker on him.
(beat)
They had a nice funeral for him…

FRIEND
(fake-crying)
He was a good man… the best man I ever met… lovely load of cash, too.

BERNARD
…And then they buried him.
(short pause as music becomes spooky)
In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him…

RICH MAN
Father Abraham! Father Abraham!

Quick cut to children’s choir director.

CHILDREN’S CHOIR DIRECTOR
(still singing as the kids run wild)
Father Abraham – had many sons
(speaking)
Come now, children, pay attention… Brandon, be a good boy and stop choking your brother…

Quick cut back to story.

RICH MAN
Father Abraham! Oh, Father Abraham! Have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.

BERNARD
But Abraham replied…

ABRAHAM
Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, there is a great chasm between you and us, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.

RICH MAN
Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus back to my house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.

ABRAHAM
They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.

RICH MAN
No, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.

ABRAHAM
If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.

RICH MAN
(scared)
No, no…
(crying out in terror)
NOOOOO!!!!!

The rich man’s voice echoes and fades away, as the music becomes dramatic and fades out. TV static sound-effect then plays briefly and cuts to the next scene.

Scene 4: Quiet Room
(Girl)

GIRL
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

TV static sound-effect plays briefly and cuts to the next scene.

Scene 5: BTV Studio
(Eugene)

EUGENE
Justice – noun – one – A – the maintenance or administration of what is just – impartial adjustment of conflicting claims – the assignment of merited rewards or punishments - B – a person duly commissioned to hold courts or to try and decide controversies and administer justice.

TV static sound-effect plays briefly and cuts to the next scene.

Scene 6: BTV Studio Again
(Bernard, College Bum, Dad)

BERNARD
Many times, when we see poor people in other countries – or even here at home - it looks like God doesn’t seem to care about them.

Quick cut to College Bum.

COLLEGE BUM
Hey, dad, can I ask you somethin’?

DAD
Go ahead, son. Uh… you aren’t asking for an extra five thousand dollars to pay for textbooks are you?

COLLEGE BUM
No…no, nothin’ that big.

DAD
Oh good.

COLLEGE BUM
So, my question’s like - doesn’t God have the power to feed all the starving people in Africa? I mean, dude, if God loves them, why doesn’t He provide for them? And why’s it seem that he’s, like, given the rest of us too much? Where’s the justice in that?

DAD
(uncomfortable)
Uuuuhhh… Are you sure you didn’t want to ask about an extra five thousand dollars?

Quick cut back to Bernard.

BERNARD
Well, when we ask these kinds of questions we need to remember that while it’s true that a lot of people in Odyssey and other places have more than enough food to eat, and many other people don’t have enough, this doesn’t mean that God loves us more than he loves them. You see, God has called us to work justice on His behalf by helping those who need help. Those of us who have been blessed with a lot have been given the privilege of helping those who are less fortunate. If we expect God to feed the hungry while we go off and do whatever we want to with our wealth, then we go against what God has told us to do, and in this way, we’re the ones who haven’t acted with justice. So rather than ask ‘why doesn’t God feed the hungry?’, maybe we should ask ‘what are we doing to feed the hungry?’.

Scene 7: Back to the Quiet Room
(Girl)

GIRL
Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, just as you say He is. Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts.

Scene 8: Back to the Studio
(Johnny “Whit,” Alex, Judge “Bart,” Man #1, Man #2, Man #3, Widow)

This scene is called “And You Think You’ve Got Problems?: The Unjust Judge.” This scene is one of the “shorties” that first aired in 2000. Bart Rathbone plays the part of the unjust judge. Jim Ware is the writer.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
Welcome to… “And You Think You’ve Got Problems?”
(beat)
Ever had trouble getting people to listen to you?

ALEX
Only my mom, my dad, my brother, my sister, my friends, my enemies, my teacher, my…

JOHNNY (WHIT)
(interrupting)
Then you can probably relate to this story that Jesus told in Luke eighteen.
(Narrating)
Once in a certain city there was a judge who didn’t fear God nor respect man.

JUDGE (BART)
God… man… big deal.

Knock on door. Door opens.

MAN #1
Your honor, this man took my donkey.

JUDGE (BART)
Donkey-shmonkey. What am I supposed to do about it? Next!

MAN #1
But…

Door closes. Knock on door. Door opens.

MAN #2
Your honor, my landlord just evicted me without notice!

JUDGE (BART)
Tell it to the judge. Next!

MAN #2
But… you are the judge.

Door closes. Knock on door. Door opens.

MAN #3
Your honor – it’s my wife. She thinks she’s an elevator.

JUDGE (BART)
So? Take her to a psychiatrist.

MAN #3
I would, but she’s stuck on the third floor.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
Now there was a widow in that city who came to the judge and said…

Knock on door. Door opens.

WIDOW
Get justice for me from my adversary.

JUDGE (BART)
I don’t do advertising. This is a legal department. Go away.

Door closes.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
But the widow refused to give up. She came back again.

Widow knocks on door – door opens.

WIDOW
Get justice for me from my adversary!

JUDGE (BART)
You again? What do you think this is? A court?

Door closes.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
And again…

Widow knocks on door – door opens.

WIDOW
Get justice for me from my adversary.

JUDGE (BART)
Give it up, Gramma!

Door closes.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
And again…

Widow knocks on door – door opens.

JUDGE (BART)
Now what?

WIDOW
Get…

Door closes - Widow knocks on door – door opens.

WIDOW
…justice…

Door closes - Widow knocks on door – door opens.

WIDOW
…for me from my adversary!

Continuous knocking.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
After awhile, the judge got really tired of this and said…

JUDGE (BART)
This old bag ain’t gonna leave me alone. I better get justice for her advertiser before I gotta get a new door.

Door opens.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
Then Jesus said, “Don’t give up when you pray. Even the unjust judge eventually granted the widow’s request. How much more will your Father in Heaven who loves you answer your prayers if you have faith in Him.
(beat)
This is Johnny B. Grateful inviting you to join us soon for another “And you think you’ve got problems?”

JUDGE (BART)
Go away. Come back tomorrow.

JOHNNY (WHIT)
Oh, be quiet.

Scene Nine: In the Quiet Room Again
(Girl)

GIRL
Blessed are they who maintain justice, who constantly do what is right.

Scene Ten: On Stage at the Harlequin Theatre
(Walter, Edwin)

“Shakespearian” music plays.

WALTER
And now… it’s time for poetry corner… with Edwin Blackgaard.

EDWIN
(reciting poetry)
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways./
I love thee to the depth and breadth and…

WALTER
Um, excuse me, sir.

“Shakespearian” music stops.

EDWIN
(irritated)
What is it?

WALTER
I’m sorry, but I thought you were supposed to recite a poem about justice.

EDWIN
Well, I couldn’t find any poems about justice, so I decided to recite a love poem instead.

WALTER
But, sir, what does a love poem have to do with anything?

EDWIN
Oh, it has everything to do with everything. What is that saying? - without love, we are nothing.

WALTER
That’s a very good saying, sir. But I’m not sure that’s the kind of love this poem is talking about.

EDWIN
It’s close enough.

WALTER
Sir, you’re doing your audience a great injustice by reciting the wrong poem.

EDWIN
Well, maybe I don’t have any interest in poetic justice.

WALTER
But I really think you ought to…

EDWIN
Oh, leave me be, you poltroon.

WALTER
(offended)
Sir…

“Shakespearian” music begins again.

EDWIN
(reciting poetry)
How do I love thee? Let me count the…

Sound-effect: static – cuts to next scene.

Scene 11: Whit’s Office
(Bernard, Bart)

BERNARD
Well, since they wouldn’t let me near the jury, and Judge Abernathy decided to leave, I decided to get some answers about justice from the real expert – John Avery Whittaker.

Bernard knocks on the door to Whit’s office.

BERNARD (CONT’D)
Hello? Whit, are you in there?

Bernard opens the door.

BART
Walton!

BERNARD
Bart?

BART
What are ya’s doin’ here?

BERNARD
Me? What are you doing in Whit’s office? Where’s Whit?

BART
(caught off guard)
Oh, um… he had to step out for a minute.

BERNARD
(upset)
But I’m supposed to interview him…we’re live.

BART
(doesn’t care)
Oh, now that is a predictlament, now, ain’t it? So, why can’t ya’s talk to me?

BERNARD
(non-believing)
You? – About justice?

BART
(cheerful)
Sure! Why not? I knows plenty stuff ‘bout justice.

BERNARD
(skeptical)
You do?

BART
Yeah, just check out our prices over at the Electric Palace. Now there’s justice for ya’s. We always give a fair price. Ten Double A batteries for no less than thirty nine, ninety five.

BERNARD
Less? What kind of justice is that?

BART
Hey! They’s just gettin’ what they’s deserve! That’s justice ain’t it?

BERNARD
I guess… if they really deserved it.

BART
Oh, they’s deserved all right… all those crumby folks that didn’t vote for me all those times I ran for mayor…

BERNARD
It sounds to me like you’re talking about revenge…

BART
What’s the difference, huh? What’s justice anymore than one guy gettin’ back at the other?

BERNARD
I was actually thinking of a different kind of justice…

BART
Oh, you mean those guys with the black robes? Yeah, I got married by one of them. I knows about that kind too.
(laughing)
Oh, man, that guy had funny hair…

BERNARD
(to the camera)
Maybe now we should go to another story…

BART
Hey! I wasn’t finished talkin’ about justice yet!

Scene 12: The Sheep Pasture
(Narrator, George the Sheep, Bill the Sheep, Frank the Sheep, Freddie the Sheep, Schlimiel, Obadokie, The Master)

Cheerful music plays – sheep noises are heard in the background.

NARRATOR
Once, there was a large flock of sheep who sat grazing on a hill.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
How’s the grass over there, Bill?

BILL THE SHEEP
It’s green. How’s your grass, George?

GEORGE THE SHEEP
It tastes like chicken.

BILL THE SHEEP
Hmm, must be one of those bio products.

NARRATOR
One day, the owner of the sheep needed to go on a business trip, so he left his two shepherds, Schlimiel and Obadokie, in charge.

The music becomes “suspicious.”

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
What do you think of those two new shepherds the Master left in charge of us, Frank?

FRANK THE SHEEP
I don’t know what I think, Freddie. What do you think?

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
I don’t like the looks of them. They look like the type to rob the fleece off a sheep’s back.

NARRATOR
As soon as the Master set off on his journey, the two shepherds went and threw a party.

Party noises.

NARRATOR
…and from there it went downhill.

The two shepherds laugh idiotically.

OBADOKIE
Just look at all those bone-headed sheep, Schlimiel. Whatever are we to do with them all?

SCHLIMIEL
Hey, I got an idea. Why don’t we dump wine into their drinking water?

OBADOKIE
(cracking up)
That’ll make ‘em daffy and bone-headed.

The shepherds laugh idiotically.

BILL THE SHEEP
Oy vei! Oy vei!

GEORGE THE SHEEP
What’s wrong, Bill?

BILL THE SHEEP
Oh, I fell out of a tree and broke my leg. The funny thing is it doesn’t hurt one bit.
(hiccups)

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Now, I’m just a sheep, and I don’t got much sense… but what in the world were you thinking by climbing a tree?

BILL THE SHEEP
Am I supposed to know what I was thinking? I’m a sheep after all.
(hiccups)

Cut to shepherds.

SCHLIMIEL
Hey look, one of those bone-headed sheep broke its leg.

OBADOKIE
Good, now it won’t run away like that one up there.

SCHLIMIEL
Where?

OBADOKIE
Up by that cliff, see? I’ve been watching this one for half an hour.

SCHLIMIEL
Shouldn’t we go get him?

OBADOKIE
What, are you kidding? Walk all that way for sheep? No, it’s much more entertaining to watch them walk off cliffs. - Oops, there he goes now.
(giggles)

SCHLIMIEL
Hey, after this, let’s go buy some paintball shooters.
(laughs)
That could be fun.

NARRATOR
Well, things went from bad to worse. The two shepherds not only treated their Master’s sheep badly, but they even went and had some of them for supper.

OBADOKIE
How’s your sheep, Schlimiel?

SCHLIMIEL
Tastes like chicken.

OBADOKIE
Hmm, must be one of those bio products.

NARRATOR
Finally, the sheep had enough.

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
That’s it! I’ve had enough! I’m out of here.

FRANK THE SHEEP
Where are you going?

Thunder begins to rumble in the background as Freddie speaks. The music becomes “heroic.”

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
Someplace where the sheep aren’t shorn in the winter, where the shepherds don’t eat their flocks, where the grass don’t taste like chicken, and the water’s sure to be dry! Who’s coming with me?

Many sheep make sheep noises indicating that they will go with him. – The music is still heroic, but becomes calmer.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
What do you think he meant by dry water?

BILL THE SHEEP
I don’t know what I think. I’m a sheep.

Music becomes dramatic.

NARRATOR
And so, what was left of the flock set out on their own to find a safer place to live. Unfortunately, sheep tend to be directionally challenged, and the thunder and lightning only added confusion to their muddled state, so the sheep ended up separating from each other in the rain, and wound up in all kinds of weird places.

Thunder and rain stops and French music begins playing in the background.

BILL THE SHEEP
Where are we?

GEORGE THE SHEEP
I don’t know. I’m a sheep. I’ve never known where I was my entire life. I’ll tell you one thing, though, this Brie cheese is a lot worse than the chicken grass.

BILL THE SHEEP
Hmm, must be a bio product.

French music stops.

NARRATOR
Back at the pasture, the Master returned to find his two shepherds, Schlimiel and Obadokie, throwing paintballs at the sheep that were too sick to run away.

OBADOKIE
(surprised)
Oh! Uh…Master…
(chuckling nervously)
We weren’t expecting you back so soon.

NARRATOR
Needless to say, things didn’t go well for them.

MASTER
I will hold you accountable for my flock. Shouldn’t you have taken care of it instead of only taking care of yourselves? You are now removed from your positions, and you will no longer be called shepherds.

NARRATOR
After this, the Master went out and looked for all of His lost sheep in order to bring them back from all the weird places in which they had ended up. He rescued them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. He brought them out from the nations and gathered them from the countries, and He brought them into their own land. There, the Master Himself watched over His sheep, and the sheep enjoyed eating the rich pastures.

FRANK THE SHEEP
Eating the rich pastors? Why would we do that?

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
The sermon went past noon and we got hungry.

NARRATOR
No, no. Pastures. You know…grass that tastes like chicken.

FRANK THE SHEEP
Oh, right, I gotchya.

Scene 13: The Quiet Room Again
(Girl)

GIRL
Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the Lord understand it fully.

Scene 14: BTV Studio Again
(Host, Eugene, Connie)

HOST
(played by Cory Burton)
And now it’s time for… Did… You… Know?

EUGENE
Did you know that in Plato’s Republic, Socrates describes justice as "working at that which one is naturally best suited"? He goes on to say that justice is "to do one's own business and not to be a busybody." Plato describes justice as the founding and preserving virtue because it is only after an individual understands justice that they can truly take hold of the other three virtues of wisdom, courage, and moderation.

CONNIE
No… but did you know that in October of 1685 the King of France proclaimed an edict stating that all Huguenot churches be destroyed and that all protestant schools be closed? In response, Frederick William of Brandenburg issued the Potsdam Edict to establish justice and religious freedom. He offered the Huguenots safe passage to his country, exempted them from taxes for ten years, and allowed them to worship freely and hold church services in their own language.

HOST
(played by Cory Burton)
Well… you know it now. And don’t you forget it!

Scene 15: Back to Ancient Israel
(Connie, Man, Jesus, Rich Fool, God)

CONNIE
(narrating)
As Jesus was teaching his disciples, a man in the crowd came to Jesus and said to him…

MAN
Teacher, please go and tell my brother to divide up our father’s inheritance with me.

CONNIE
(narrating)
But Jesus replied…

JESUS
Friend, who made me a judge between you to decide things like that? Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.
(beat)
Listen to this story: There once was a rich man who had a fertile farm that produced good crops.

RICH FOOL
(happy)
Just look at all the crops I’ve grown this year! Wheat, Barley, Corn… Soybeans. I’ve really outdone myself this time.
(laughs greedily)
By my own mighty power I have planted these beautiful crops to be my joy and to display my own majestic splendor!
(laughs greedily)

JESUS
But then he began to think to himself just what exactly he was going to do with all he had planted…

RICH FOOL
Wait a minute, now. What am I gonna do? I don’t have enough room in my barns to store all these crops.

JESUS
The rich man came up with an idea…

RICH FOOL
Hey, I know what I’ll do. I’ll tear down all my old puny barns and then I’ll build a whole bunch of bigger ones. Then I can sit back, relax and enjoy myself. I’ll never have to work again.
(laughs greedily – talking to himself)
Oh, I’ve made a pretty good livin’ for myself now. I can keep all this stuff to myself and party for the rest of my life!

JESUS
But God took notice of all of this, and he saw something that the rich man didn’t see. God came to him and said…

GOD
You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?

JESUS
This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.

Scene 16: Back to the Quiet Room
(Girl)

GIRL
Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd.

Scene 17: Back to BTV Studio
(Bernard, St. Antony)

St. Antony is chanting “Dona eis requiem sempiternam” in the background.

BERNARD
Justice is something that speaks to the hearts of all of us. We all want to be treated with respect and dignity, and we get angry when we feel as though our rights have been ignored. This desire for our own well-being ought to...

ST. ANTONY
Uh, excuse me.

BERNARD
Uh... what is it? We’re in the middle of a show.

ST. ANTONY
Oh, perfect.

BERNARD
Who are you?

ST. ANTONY
I am St. Antony of the desert.

BERNARD
Wait... the father of all monks?

ST. ANTONY
The one and only.

BERNARD
Good grief.

ST. ANTONY
May I say something?

BERNARD
Sure, why not? What’s one more distraction?

ST. ANTONY
(clears throat)
Some of those who stop in inns are given beds, while others having no beds stretch themselves on the floor and sleep as soundly as those in beds. In the morning, when night is over...

BERNARD
Obviously...

ST. ANTONY
...all alike get up and leave the inn, carrying away with them only their own belongings.

BERNARD
That’s very nice. Do you think...

ST. ANTONY
I’m not finished.

BERNARD
Oh.

ST. ANTONY
It is the same with those who tread the path of this life: both those who have lived in modest circumstances, and those who had wealth and fame, leave this life like an inn, taking with them no worldly comforts or riches, but only what they have done in this life, whether it be good or bad.
(awkward silence)

BERNARD
Are you finished?

ST. ANTONY
Mmm-hmm. Ponder these things, and mean them. And now God save you, children, for Antony departs and is with you no more.
(chanting)
Dona eis requiem…

BERNARD
Weirdo.

ST. ANTONY
Heretic.

Scene 18: In King David’ Palace
(King David)

KING DAVID
(played by Will Ryan)
The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel: The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him.

Scene 19: Back on Stage at the Harlequin Theatre
(Walter, Edwin)

WALTER
And now… your thought of the day… with Edwin Blackgaard.

EDWIN
(complaining)
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear…

WALTER
Uh… is everything alright, sir? Didn’t Mr. Walton get you your script?

EDWIN
Yes, he did – a pox upon him!

WALTER
(confused)
Sir?

EDWIN
I can’t read this! It would be too great an injustice against William Shakespeare!

WALTER
But, sir, I thought you said that you didn’t care for poetic justice…

EDWIN
That was before Mr. Walton handed me a script written by Bacon! He did this to me on purpose, didn’t he?

WALTER
Please, sir… we’re on the air.

EDWIN
Oh… very well.
(reciting with great dignity)
If we do not maintain Justice… Justice will not maintain us.

WALTER
Very good, sir. See now? That wasn’t so bad.

EDWIN
Where’s Mr. Walton? I want to have a word with him.

Scene 20: Back to the BTV Studio
(Eugene)

EUGENE
Poetic Justice – noun – an outcome of a fictitious or real situation in which vice is punished and virtue is rewarded usually in a manner peculiarly or ironically appropriate to the particular situation.

Scene 21: Back at the Pasture
(Narrator, George the Sheep, Bill the Sheep, Larry the Goat, The Master, The Son)

Story-appropriate music begins.

NARRATOR
Meanwhile, back at the pasture, all was not well.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Hey, bill, look at what’s going on over there.

BILL THE SHEEP
What?

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Those goats over there, see?

BILL THE SHEEP
What about them?

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Just look. They’re ripping up all the grass and throwing it around.

BILL THE SHEEP
Hmm, must be some sort of…goat ritual.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
There ain’t gonna be anything left if they keep that up.

BILL THE SHEEP
I suppose you were wanting me to go make them stop.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Well, if it weren’t no trouble.

BILL THE SHEEP
It is…and so are those goats. You go talk to them.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Why me?

BILL THE SHEEP
Because you’re the one who brought it up. And besides, my leg’s still broken from when I fell out of that tree.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Oh yeah.

Later.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Hey… Hey, buddy.

LARRY THE GOAT
Yeah? What do you want? Can’t you see I’m busy throwing grass in the air?

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Uh… yeah, I noticed. Uh, about that, see. Some of us sheep were talking, and we were thinking that we didn’t like that so much.

LARRY THE GOAT
Wait – did I hear you right? Did you actually say that you were thinking? Ha! Maybe you should mind your own business, sheep, and not tell us goats what to do. You can send that message back to your buddies…if they can understand it.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Uh…

LARRY THE GOAT
In the meantime, we’ll just keep throwing grass in the air.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Uh…

NARRATOR
Well, the problems didn’t stop there. The goats not only kept ripping up the good pasture, but they even got some of the other sheep to join with them.

LARRY THE GOAT
Oh, no, we don’t rip up the good pastors – only the ones who preach too long.

NARRATOR
No, no, no. A pasture – a pasture!

LARRY THE GOAT
Oh.

Later.

LARRY THE GOAT
Okay, everybody, listen up. We goats have decided on some new rules for this here pasture.

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
New rules?

LARRY THE GOAT
Rule number one. Any sheep who disagrees with anything a goat says will be immediately butted.

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
Butted? What’s that supposed to mean?

Freddie gets butted by a goat and goes flying through the air. He yells, but his voice fades into the distance.

LARRY THE GOAT
That also goes for any sheep that interrupts a goat. Rule number two: any sheep caught being stupid will be immediately butted.

FRANK THE SHEEP
I still don’t get that whole butted thing.

Frank gets butted by a goat and goes flying through the air. He yells, but his voice fades into the distance.

BILL THE SHEEP
I object! He wasn’t being stupid!

LARRY THE GOAT
Sure he was. He’s a sheep. Oh, wait, you’re all sheep! Get ‘em, boys!

The goats butt the sheep. Later, the goats are jumping around in a stream.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
Hey! Hey! Hey! What are you guys doing?

LARRY THE GOAT
What’s it look like? We’re turning your little babbling brook into a bunch of mud.

GEORGE THE SHEEP
But wait a minute! You guys have to drink out of this thing, too.

LARRY THE GOAT
Yes, but it’s so much more comforting to know that you’ll be suffering right along with us.

George gets butted by a goat and goes flying through the air. He yells, but his voice fades into the distance.

NARRATOR
Well, it wasn’t long before the Master took notice of the way the goats were treating the other sheep, and He wasn’t too happy about it. So, the Master went and gathered up all of his flock, both the sheep and the goats.

THE MASTER
I will judge between one sheep and another, and between rams and goats. Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must my flock feed on what you have trampled and drink what you have muddied with your feet? Because you shove with flank and shoulder, butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away, I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. I will judge between one sheep and another.

NARRATOR
Then the Master had His own son come and look after the sheep. The Son separated the sheep and the goats. He put the goats on his left and the sheep on his right. To the sheep he said…

THE SON
Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was in need and you had compassion on me and helped me.

FREDDIE THE SHEEP
But, sir, when did we ever see you in need?

THE SON
I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

NARRATOR
Then the Son turned to the goats and said…

THE SON
Get away from me! You are cursed! When you saw me in need, you didn’t help me.

LARRY THE GOAT
But, sir, we never saw you in need!

THE SON
I tell you the truth, whatever you didn’t do for one of the least of these, you didn’t do for me.

NARRATOR
Then the Master made his sheep a promise of peace.

Music becomes “beautiful.”

THE MASTER
I will drive away the dangerous animals from the land. Then you will be able to camp safely in the wildest places and sleep in the woods without fear. I will bless you and your homes around my holy hill. And in the proper season I will send the showers you need. There will be showers of blessing. Your orchards and fields will yield bumper crops, and everyone will live in safety. For I have broken your chains of slavery and rescued you from those who enslaved you. Now you know that I am with you and that you are my flock, the sheep of my pasture.

Music takes over and ends scene.

Scene 22: In Whit’s Office Again
(Bernard, Whit, Girl, Jesus, Peter)

BERNARD
Well, we were finally able to catch up with Whit. Unfortunately we’re out of time and Whit won’t be able to say anything.

WHIT
What?

BERNARD
(chuckling)
Just kidding. We still have some time left. So, Whit, tell us, is it ever hard to act with justice?

WHIT
(Chuckling)
Oh, it definitely is sometimes, especially when people mistreat us for doing what’s right. But you know, whenever we feel as though we’re being treated without justice, it helps to keep in mind that God establishes justice, and in the end, He has the final say – like the story about the sheep. In the meantime, though, we should remember what the prophet Micah said: He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Quick cut to Girl reading.

GIRL
Matthew chapter five, verses eleven and twelve. Jesus said…

Quick cut to voice of Jesus.

JESUS
God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Rejoice and be glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.

Quick cut to girl reading.

GIRL
John 15:18 and 16:33.

Quick cut to voice of Jesus.

JESUS
If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first… I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

Quick cut to girl reading.

GIRL
1st Peter 2:21-25.

Quick cut to voice of Peter.

PETER
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.

Quick cut back to Bernard.

BERNARD
Well, that’s all the time we have left for today’s episode of BTV. For all of us here, I’m Bernard Walton, see you next time. Good-bye.

BTV theme music plays briefly and takes us to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment